Contract – 0.6 FTE January 2020- March 2021 with possibility of extension
Contract – 0.4 FTE January – March 2020 providing clinical administrative support for a time- limited project.
Positions can be combined.
The Peterborough 360 Degree Nurse Practitioner – Led Clinic (NPLC) is a dynamic community-based interdisciplinary primary health care clinic providing comprehensive primary health care services to individuals and families residing in Peterborough City and County.
The 360°NPLC is committed to providing access to innovative, integrated primary health care services and programs delivered collaboratively with a focus on healthy equity and patient centeredness. Located in the downtown core of Peterborough, we have expertise providing care to people whose health is made vulnerable by poverty, homelessness and poor access to the social determinants of health. We operate from a harm reduction philosophy. We are committed to working from within an anti-oppression and anti-racist philosophical framework that is trauma-informed and which values cultural humility and inclusiveness.
Position Title Registered Practical Nurse
Hours per week 22.5 (15 January Jan-March 2020 – can be combined with 22.5)
Working within the interdisciplinary team, the Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) provides high quality professional nursing care to patients, consistent with the vision and philosophy of the NPLC and with the standards of the College of Nurses of Ontario. The RPN will participate with the interdisciplinary team in the provision of primary health care, health promotion and disease prevention.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Work in collaboration with an inter-professional team to safely and effectively provide appropriate primary health care to clients
- Conduct individual patient assessments including patient history, recording of vitals and biometric measurements
- Share results of assessment and interventions with the NPLC team as
- Implement various goal-oriented, time-limited intervention plans, including education in collaboration with patient and/or family and inter-professional team
- Provide client follow up and patient education as directed by the NPs or other IHPs
- Provide culturally sensitive care
- Perform point of care testing (urine, HCG, rapid strep throat) under medical/NP directives
- Provide wound care within the RPN scope of practice
- Provide therapeutic injections
- Assist in the maintenance of a clean, orderly work environment
- Arranges priorities as necessary to perform tasks
- Document nursing care clearly, concisely and in a timely manner
- Current certificate as a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
- Registration with College of Nurses of Ontario in good standing
- Minimum 3-5 years related experience in community nursing, preferably in community-based primary care nursing
- Demonstrated strong primary care clinical assessment skills to full RPN scope of practice
- Demonstrated exemplary oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Experience working with vulnerable populations (such as people who are homeless, living on low income, newcomers or refugees)
- Experience working with people experiencing mental health or substance use issues, and with harm reduction as an approach to substance use
- Experience with crisis de-escalation
- Experience with electronic medical records system is an asset
- Experience performing venipunctures an asset
- Experience with health promotion and disease prevention education and programming
- Demonstrated ability to navigate the health care system on behalf of patients
- Demonstrated ability to advocate for patients to ensure health care system responsiveness
- Registration with the RPNAO or other proof of professional liability protection
- Satisfactory criminal reference check with vulnerable sector check
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support certification
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter as a single pdf to Krista Dalliday, Executive Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 27th, 2019. In your cover letter, please indicate which position(s) you are interested in and your availability for an interview on Jan. 6th morning or Jan 7th afternoon.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The 360 NPLC is committed to developing an inclusive selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation during the interview process.
The 360 NPLC is committed to equity in employment practices. Applications are encouraged from qualified individuals who are Indigenous people, members of racialized communities, individuals of diverse sexual orientation and gender identification, persons with disabilities and others protected under the Human Rights Code.